Does your team’s Performance Appraisal process meet the following expectations? Your Management Team expects your team’s Performance Appraisal Process to demonstrate evidence of your . . . .
- Professionalism: You have proofread your team’s Performance Appraisals for spelling and grammar. The writing is clear. The Appraisals are presented to your team and submitted to Human Resources on time.
- Honest, timely communication: There are NO SURPRISES—the Appraisal matches what you have communicated to your next-level manager about the employee’s results throughout the year.
- Thoroughness: The Appraisal wording is specific, detailed, supported, and reflects the entire review period.
- Fairness: Your team’s performance ratings demonstrate your good judgment. The ratings are unbiased (that is, display no favoritism) and supported by facts. The ratings are calibrated across your Management Team.
- Appropriate emphasis/business focus: The Performance Appraisal demonstrates your focus on the organization’s priorities and business objectives. You have included only that which is important enough to affect the employee’s success in the position, the organization’s reputation with the customer, as well as the team’s, the region’s, and the organization’s success.
- Continuity: There is follow-through on any open development items from the employee’s previous Performance Appraisal and Development Action Plan.
- Adherence/compliance: The Performance Appraisal provides evidence that you follow your organization’s Policies and Procedures for Performance Appraisals and performance documentation. There is evidence of your ongoing documentation.
- Developing your team: There is evidence that you provide training and coaching—and other opportunities, such as special projects—for your team to develop.
- Leadership: Your communication of objectives is inspirational; your feedback is motivational. Your Development Plan is well considered and future oriented.
© COPYRIGHT 2016 by The Writing Center, Inc., West Chester, PA 19380. All Rights Reserved. The Writing Center, Inc., provides in-person and virtual customized training in effective business and technical writing. This article or any part thereof may be shared only with this attribution.