Does your team’s Performance Appraisal process meet the following expectations?
- A quality Performance Appraisal for the Employee.
- Specific proof of ratings with special focus on Leading (does the Performance Appraisal support a promotion?) and Developing (does the Performance Appraisal support re-assignment or separation?)
- Consistency: There are no great leaps in ratings from one performance period to the next without solid proof.
- Continuity: There is follow-through on any open items from previous Development Action Plans.
- Compliance: You have followed your organization’s Policies and Procedures for Performance Appraisals and performance feedback.
- Supported ratings: Your team’s Performance Appraisals are supported by quality, consistent documentation.
- Evidence of your providing your team ongoing coaching and professional development.
- Professionalism: The Performance Appraisal would reflect well on the organization if the Appraisal were used as evidence in court.
- Legal language—The Performance Appraisal contains no discriminatory language. Also, each Performance Appraisal protects the employee’s privacy. For example, in the United States, all Performance Appraisals must comply with The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule, requiring the protection of individually identifiable health information.
© COPYRIGHT 2016 by The Writing Center, Inc., West Chester, PA 19380. All Rights Reserved. The Writing Center, Inc., provides in-person and virtual customized training in effective business and technical writing. This article or any part thereof may be shared only with this attribution.