129 Willowbrook Lane|
West Chester, PA 19382-5578
PUBLIC INSTRUCTOR-LED VIRTUALTRAINING
EFFECTIVE BUSINESS WRITING
Tuesday, 29 March 2011, 9:00 to 4:30 Eastern Time
Virtual Effective Business Writing: Writing effectively is a critical business skill that contributes to success on the job. In this one-day seminar presented by The Writing Center, Inc., and ULiveandLearn, you’ll practice strategies to increase the clarity and impact of on-the-job email, letters, and reports and improve the efficiency of your writing process.
Virtual Training Approach: As with The Writing Center’s in-person, instructor-led writing programs, our virtual training is clearly and simply presented, highly structured, hands-on, and participatory. And it takes full advantage of the Virtual Classroom’s technology. For example, participants can raise virtual hands to ask questions or answer the instructor’s questions via the teleconference, “chat”/text privately with the instructor, view PowerPoint slides, view documents selected for peer and instructor feedback, view and print additional course handouts, and view and print each other’s answers to practice exercises posted on the Exercise Board.
- How do you ensure that your sentences are clear and have the meaning you intended? When should active voice be used? Is it ever OK to use acronyms and jargon? Gain the answers to those questions as you review and practice applying five steps to eliminate wordiness and other strategies to make your wording clear, concise, and precise.
- How do you eliminate a choppy style-improve flow? Review and practice using four transitional devices to move the reader smoothly through your documents and show the logical relationship of ideas.
- How do you write more efficiently-cut writing and rewriting time? How should email and other documents begin and end? How do you organize information in a document? Review and practice a powerful four-step approach for efficient writing. Explore ways to begin and end documents and ensure complete content. Learn when and how to write an executive summary and a transmittal email and how to present results and recommendations. Apply patterns for organizing documents logically and persuasively.
- How do you win readers’ acceptance and cooperation? How do you improve tone, especially in quickly written email? Review and practice tips for positive, reader-centered wording. Learn how to adjust writing for different audiences. Review current etiquette and conventions for email, texting, and other social media.
- How do you make documents more reader friendly and professional? How do you ensure that no ideas are overlooked? Learn how effective formatting can be used to make information more accessible for busy readers and to emphasize important information. Learn how to recognize and correct the 10 most common errors in email, letters and reports.
Pre-work: Participants are invited to send two writing samples for confidential feedback.
Course Materials: Participants receive soft copy of The Writing Center’s A Desk Guide to Business Writing and are welcome to print additional course handouts posted during the class session.
Cost: $295/participant ($US)
Registration: Registration instructions are provided at ULiveandLearn. To link to ULiveandLearn, click on the following course title: Virtual Effective Business Writing
For more information about our services, please call us at 610-436-4600 or Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org